Plenty of sports history is about to go on display in Pittsburgh, including some rare baseball memorabilia.
To commemorate the 100th anniversary of one of America’s most famous ballparks, the Western Pennsylvania Sports Museum at the Senator John Heinz
History Center will honor Forbes Field throughout the summer with a new exhibition, Forbes Field: A Century of Memories.
Set to open this Saturday, June 27, the exhibition celebrates the iconic park through a series of photographs, fan memorabilia, and never-before-seen artifacts from the park’s illustrious history.
Forbes Field: A Century of Memories focuses on several key events in Forbes Field history, including the legendary 1909 World Series between the Pirates and Detroit Tigers, which featured Hall of Famers Honus Wagner and Ty Cobb, and the 1960 World Series, which featured one of baseball’s most famous moments, when Bill Mazeroski’s walk-off homerun beat the New York Yankees for the World Series title.
Fans of all ages will enjoy rare artifacts and unique memorabilia from local baseball history, including:
• Forbes Field construction photographs, along with a ticket and invitations
from the first game in 1909;
• Team owner Barney Dreyfuss’ personal day planners from the Pirates’ World
Series championship years in 1909 and 1925;
• 1910 baseball cards of Honus Wagner and Ty Cobb;
• An original Homestead Grays uniform from the 1940s;
• A baseball signed by Babe Ruth on the day he hit three homeruns at Forbes
Field in 1935;
• An original Forbes Field window and signage, along with seats, and banners;
• Dozens of never-before-seen photos of Forbes Field throughout the years;
• Roberto Clemente’s game-used bat from 1966;
• The pitching rubber from the 1960 World Series; and
• Scorecards, tickets and game programs from throughout the iconic stadium’s
Forbes Field: A Century of Memories also explores Pittsburgh’s other ballparks (including Exposition Park and Three Rivers Stadium), the unique fan experience at Forbes Field, and a look back at the other teams and events hosted at Forbes Field, such as Negro League baseball, professional and collegiate football, boxing, and much more.
Forbes Field items on Amazon.com