Back in early October, I chose 2015 Topps Triple Threads MLB as the winner of the What’s Hot award for that time period and it seems that I will be keeping that recognition in the family this month with 2015 Topps Triple Threads NFL leading the pack.
We started off with two 18-count cases of Triple Threads NFL and in just over a week, we are down to scraps. Now it didn’t hurt that we had 2 9ct case breaks completely sell out almost immediately after being offered.
Our first case break offered 2 Winston autographed relics, 1 Mariota signed jersey and an inked Cooper relic card. For what boxes and specifically cases go for, it’s nice to see that Topps did not skimp on the name player autographed cards.
The second case was no slouch either with a sweeeeeet Winston /Evans autographed relic booklet, another Mariota signed relic, Cooper scribbled swatch and not one, but two Gurley autographed jersey cards. Of course not every single player was on the top of every collector’s wish list, but there were enough names that even the people who did not have Tampa Bay, Tennessee, Oakland or St. Louis still felt good about being part of the breaks.
As a card store owner, I root for each of my collectors to have big hits in each pack or box and while it is not always the case, it goes a long way when I can post a video of a break that makes shredders want to be in on the action. Fortunately our box sales have been helped by our breakers seeing monster pulls from our breaks (even if we accidentally shot them sideways).
Rounding out the Hot List are –
1) 15/16 Upper Deck Series 1 NHL – What once had me worried about ordering 29 cases now makes me glad that I did. Let Connormania reign.
2) 2015 Topps Finest NFL – Collectors seem to once again be drawn to the tried and true product with 1 autographed relic in each 6 pack mini-box. Of course the 1/1 Superfractor cards are fun too.
3) 2015 Panini Prizm Draft Picks NFL – Ok, made you look. It’s no gag though. We sold more boxes of 2015 Prizm Draft as part of Panini Black Friday than we did when it first came out. It did not hurt that it is so affordable, comes with 2 autographs and as part of Black Friday that we were able to reward collectors with 5 bonus packs per box.
4) 15/16 Panini Prizm NBA Jumbos – In spite of Panini removing one of the 3 autographs per box, collectors still dug deep and gave it a try.
5) 2015 Topps Archives Signature Series MLB – In spite of not even sending out an email to alert my collectors, it being a first-year release with no track record and Topps making sure that John Olerud made a ton signing all his cards, we moved 12 of the 20 boxes we ordered in the first day alone.
Mike Fruitman owns Mike’s Stadium Sportscards in Aurora, CO. Normally, his column focuses on what products are selling best in hobby shops. He’s got thousands of cards for sale on COMC.com under the ID cardmn5150. Enjoy new arrivals and big hits from Mike’s on Twitter. Mike’s is always looking for more friends on Facebook and you can email him at cardmn[email protected]