The market for T206 Honus Wagner cards is showing no sign of slowing after the results of a major auction of a set of cards from the hobby’s most popular pre-War issue.
Heritage Auctions offered the second in a series of auctions featuring cards from the David Hall Collection, highlighted by a Wagner graded Authentic/Altered. Despite trimmed borders and creasing, the iconic card sold for $540,000 including the buyer’s premium.
The final price attained late Thursday night clobbered the pre-sale estimate of $300,000. It’s the most ever paid for an “Authentic” grade example of the Wagner. It topped the $420,000 paid for an Authentic example sold last December.
Another Wagner, this one graded PSA 2, went on the block through Mile High Card Company Monday, soaring past $500,000 within minutes.
The Heritage auction included over 500 different cards from Hall’s T206 collection as well as the finest known example of the rare Ty Cobb Tobacco tin. The tin sold for a record-breaking $144,000. A PSA 2 Cobb card carrying an ad for his own brand–one of fewer than 20 known examples–netted $156,000.
Other sales included:
- Bill O’Hara (St. Louis) Polar Bear back PSA 7 $96,000
- Ty Cobb Polar Bear back PSA 8 $87,000
- Eddie Plank Sweet Caporal 350/30 $84,000
- Cobb Green Portrait PSA 7 $66,000
- Cobb Old Mill bat off shoulder PSA 8 $60,000
- Sam Crawford with bat PSA 8 $57,600
- Hooks Wiltse portrait with cap PSA 8 $43,200
Complete results can be found here.