They’ve taken a long time to build but now they’re about to find new homes.
Some of the highest quality early boxing sets in existence are up for sale in the current Lelands auction catalog. Three old down the number one spot on the SGC Set Registry and aren’t likely to be surpassed considering the small number of high-grade cards known to exist.
Fighters featured in the sets include Jack Johnson, Jim Jeffries, notorious Black Sox figure Abe Atell, Jack Dempsey and Jim Corbett.
The sets being offered include:
- All-Time Greatest 1910 T218 Champions Complete Graded Set – #1 on PSA Registry (8.02 GPA)
- Rare 1910 Miner’s Extra T219 Boxing Card Complete Set – #1 on SGC Registry
- 1910 Honest Long Cut T219 Complete Set (SGC)
- 1910 T225 Prize Fighter Series 101 Complete Graded Set (25) #1 SGC Registry
- 1910 T225 Prize Fighters Series 102 Complete Graded Set (25) #1 SGC Registry
- 1923 V137 Willard Chocolates Boxers Complete Set (56)
While they may not have the collecting audience of their baseball counterparts from the same era, the artistry used to create them is done in the same fashion, with the condition of many unsurpassed. The T218 set alone includes 31 cards that rank as the highest graded examples on PSA’s Registry.
“These boxing sets are the highest graded in the hobby,” said Lelands founder and chairman Josh Evans. “Several are #1 on both the PSA and SGC registries. They can be had for a small fraction of what their baseball and football card counterparts sell for, and that will soon change, if not in this auction.”
In all, there are 21 boxing-related lots in the auction.
Among the hundreds of other items in the auction is a Joe DiMaggio 1950-51 Yankees game-worn uniform (current bid $97,437) and a Bobby Orr 1966 Topps USA Test #35 PSA Mint 9, (current bid $140,510).
Bidding is open through February 1 at Lelands.com.