MnM Sportscards kicks off its latest auction this weekend, highlighted by a rare, signed T206 card from a somewhat obscure player whose impact is still being felt on the game today.
Blackburne was a player in the T206 era but it was during his coaching tenure that he helped locate mud that’s still used to get new baseballs ready for play.
Update: 3/8/11: The Blackburne card has been pulled from the auction by the consignor.
Vintage card collectors also have a chance to bid on dozens of other lots including over 20 graded M101-2 Sporting News Supplements. The oversized cards were issued as incentives for fans to buy The Sporting News a century ago.
Also offered are higher grade partial sets and groups of Topps baseball, a number of highly graded and pre-War single cards and vintage baseball memorabilia.
The auction opens Sunday, March 6 with over 400 lots of cards and memorabilia on the block.
Other highlights include:
- Babe Ruth 1930’s Multi Signed Spalding Match Ball W/Gehrig, Dean, Martin, Medwick
- Ron Guidry New York Yankees Original Robert Simon Art
- Scarce Cassius Clay Early Studio Portrait 16 x 20 Color
- 1963 New York Yankees Clock attributed to Clete Boyer
- 1948 Detroit Tigers Team Signed Ball
- Many PSA Graded Cards and Autographs
- Game Used Bats, Game Used Uniforms, and Memorabilia
To get a sneak peek at the lots or register to bid, click here.