With over 500 lots ranging from 19th century baseball cards to modern game-worn gear from current stars, SCP Auctions has launched its “Spring Premier” catalog event, scheduled to runs through Saturday, March 24.
Top lots include
Jesse Owens Estate Collection
In 2013 SCP Auctions sold one of Owens’ original 1936 Olympic gold medals for a record $1.46 million. Now, more items associated with the legendary track and field athlete are on the block. The collection features dozens of items spanning the breadth of Owens’ extraordinary athletic career as well numerous awards and mementos accumulated throughout his life.
The collection is highlighted by the 1976 Presidential Medal of Freedom presented to Owens by then-President Gerald Ford, which is expected to bring between $200,000 and $300,000.
1967-2017 Super Bowl I Through LI Complete Full Ticket Run (#1 On PSA Set Registry)
For serious memorabilia collectors, pursuing original well-preserved full Super Bowl tickets is a serious endeavor, and it can take decades to build a set of elite stature. Ranking #1 (both current and all-time) in the PSA registry with an overall set rating and GPA of 23.74, the set is expected by bring upwards of $200,000.
Lou Gehrig’s 1934 American league All-Star Gold Pendant (Triple Crown Season)
Manufactured by Dieges & Clust, the 10k gold pendant features Gehrig’s name engraved on the reverse. Given that Gehrig famously converted all of his World Series rings and most of his other award pendants into a bracelet for his wife, this stands as one of only a few jewelry pieces awarded to Gehrig that exists in private hands. The pendant is expected to sell for more than $150,000.
The Jake Virtue Estate Collection
The two previously unknown Young cabinets include one produced by the Pifer & Becker Photo Palace of Cleveland, Ohio as well as a 1891-92 John H. Ryder cabinet photo believed to be Young’s earliest image in a professional baseball uniform. Bidding on the latter rocketed to nearly $38,000 on the first several hours of bidding Wednesday.
Additional items in the Jake Virtue Collection include a pair of his Cleveland Spiders player’s contracts, his MLB lifetime pass, and other early cabinet photos including a high-grade 1887 Detroit Wolverines World Champions team cabinet.
We’ll have more on this previously unknown collection of rare and valuable cards tomorrow.
The Sam Jones Collection
Basketball collectors and Celtics fans will have a chance to bid on several pieces from the personal collection of the former Boston Celtics great and Pro Basketball Hall of Famer. Among them: Jones’ individual Hall of Famer trophy, plaque, medallion and certificate from his 1983 induction, several of his Celtics player contracts, including the one from his rookie season; game-worn items and even several of his autographed, personalized Massachusetts license plates.
In addition to the 19th century cabinets, card collectors will see some high-end examples from several different eras including PSA 8 examples of Lou Gehrig’s 1933 and 1934 Goudey issues; a PSA 8 1933 Goudey Babe Ruth (#181), a complete 1966 Topps baseball set, ranked 17th on PSA’s Registry with an 8.01 GPA and a PSA 9 1969 Topps Reggie Jackson rookie card.
Additional auction highlights include:
- 1927 Babe Ruth And Lou Gehrig Dual-Signed Baseball From Famed Barnstorming Tour
- 1956 New York Yankees World Champions 14k Gold Ring Presented to Scout Lou Maguolo
- 1957 Roy Campanella Game Used Catcher’s Mitt (Carl Furillo Jr. LOA, PSA/DNA LOA)
- 1914 Philadelphia Athletics Team Signed OAL (Johnson) Baseball Incl. Rare Eddie Plank Autograph
- Brooks Robinson’s 1966 Gold Glove Award Sourced From His Personal Collection – (Robinson LOA)
- 1977 Tom Seaver New York Mets Game Worn Road Jersey (MEARS A10)
- John Havlicek’s Autographed 1970’s Boston Celtics Game Worn Home Uniform (Havlicek LOA)
- Tom “Satch” Sanders 1969 Boston Celtics World Champions 10k Gold Ring With Diamond (Sanders LOA)
- 1980 Larry Bird Boston Celtics (Rookie-Era) Game Worn Road Jersey (Celtics Trainer LOA, MEARS A8)
- Jim Hines’ 1968 Mexico City Olympic Gold Medal For The 100 Meter Dash
- Rare 1945 Harry “Hub” Walker Detroit Tigers World Series Champions 10k Gold Ring With Diamond (Family LOA)
The auction is online now. For more information on how to participate, visit www.scpauctions.com or call (949) 831-3700.