SCP Auctions is kicking off its final major catalog sale of the year with memorabilia from Babe Ruth and the player who’s doing his best impersonation of the Big Fella.
Among the auction’s top attractions: a 1918-1922 era Ruth bat. The giant club dates to Ruth’s transition from Red Sox pitcher to feared Yankee slugger. The Hillerich & Bradsby model bat has been examined by PSA/DNA (GU 7.5) and MEARS (A8.5).
The 21st century dual threat is Shohei Ohtani and SCP is offering the Japanese sensation’s 2022 Jackie Robinson Day jersey in which he smacked his first two homers of the season.
The auction also has the jersey worn by 2022 American League MVP Aaron Judge on opening day of his 2017 Rookie of the Year season and multiple game-worn basketball jerseys, including one donned in 1979-80 by Hall of Famer Dave Cowens of the Boston Celtics.
As reported earlier, the 1952 Topps Mickey Mantle graded CSG 8 that’s expected to fetch a seven-figure price is the kingpin of the auction, which is set to open Wednesday, Nov. 23.
Several rare and historic PSA/DNA Type 1 original photographs have been consigned to SCP including a 1927 shot of the famed “Murderer’s Row,” (Ruth, Gehrig, Lazzeri) and a large panoramic photograph of the teams led by Babe Ruth and Lou Gehrig during their 1927 barnstorming tour. In all, over 50 original photo lots are part of the auction.
From that same year comes the 1927 Yankees World Series ring presented to outfielder Ben Paschal, Jeremy Hill’s massive 2018 New England Patriots Super Bowl LIII championship ring, Bobby Jones’ 2019 Naismith Basketball Hall of Fame Ring and a 2000 Los Angeles Lakers NBA championship ring given by former Lakers owner Jerry Buss to Playboy founder and Lakers fan Hugh Hefner.
SCP is also presenting the collection of Ukraine Olympian Yuriy Cheban, with proceeds to benefit his war- torn homeland. The retired sprint canoeist consigned his 2012 London gold, 2016 Rio de Janeiro gold, and 2008 Beijing bronze medals to the auction.
Money raised by the items will benefit Ukraine’s Olympic Circle charity, which directly funds Cheban’s home country’s defense and recovery efforts. SCP sold two Lakers championship rings on behalf of former Lakers player Slava Medvedenko of Ukraine earlier this year.
Other auction highlights include:
- 2004 SP Authentic Signature Quadruple Authentic Signatures #BJJA Kobe Bryant, Michael Jordan, LeBron James & Carmelo Anthony (LE 11/15) – BGS NM-MT+ 8.5, Beckett 9 Auto. (Highest Graded) — Est. $100,000+
- 1957 Topps #77 Bill Russell Rookie Autographed in green ink – PSA EX 5 & PSA/DNA 9 Auto — $75,000+
- 2007 Upper Deck Black #JO Michael Jordan Trophy Autographs Gold (2/6) – BGS NM+ 7.5, Beckett 9 Auto. (highest graded copy) — $50,000+
- 1963 Topps #200 Mickey Mantle – SGC MINT 9 — $50,000+
- 1970 Topps #580 Pete Rose – PSA GEM MINT 10 — $50,000+
- 1909-11 T206 Old Mill Ty Cobb (Bat Off Shoulder) – PSA NM 7 (Pop 2- three higher) — $40,000+
- 1909-11 T206 Piedmont 150 Ty Cobb (Bat On Shoulder) – PSA NM 7— $40,000+
- Only known 1908 London Summer Olympics 18K Gold Winner’s Medal for Golf (refused by defending champion George Lyon and the last one issued before golf’s 100+ year absence at Olympics— $30,000+
- 1972 Hank Aaron Atlanta Braves jersey – SGC Superior (highest possible grade) — $30,000+
- 1972 Willie Mays New York Mets game-worn jersey – SGC Superior/Excellent (2nd Highest Possible Grade) — $25,000+
- 5/7/2006 Barry Bonds career home run #713 – MLB Auth. — $25,000+
- 1928 Harry Heilmann Lucky Strike Cigarettes large advertising banner— $20,000+
- 1910 Christy Mathewson Tuxedo Tobacco advertising display — $15,000+
- 1927 Babe Ruth, Lou Gehrig, and Tony Lazzeri “Murderers’ Row” photo – PSA/DNA Type 1 — $15,000+
- September 22, 1910 Ty Cobb handwritten nine-page letter – PSA/DNA — $10,000+
Bidding is set to run through Saturday, Dec. 10 at SCPAuctions.com.