A few weeks after closing the books on the $8 million combined sale of the all-time finest PSA-graded T206 set, Heritage Auctions has launched the largest trading card auction in company history. More than 2,200 lots are on the block with rare and high-end single cards, complete sets and lots from the 19th century to the present.
“The massive prices in the T206 sale inspired a tidal wave of consignments to this sale,” said Chris Ivy, Director of Sports Auctions at Heritage. “The result is the largest and most diverse trading card auction of 2018.”
The Dead Ball Era comes to life in the new catalog with more than 100 19th-century lots, including a recently discovered collection of N172 Old Judge cards, multiple N690 Kalamazoo Bats, an N403 Yum Yum Tim Keefe (est. $10,000-up) and a pair of N142 Duke Cabinets. Memorabilia from the 20th century begins with a selection of W600 Sporting Life cabinets and a new-to-the-hobby 1907 Seamless Steel Tubes Co. Ty Cobb postcard (est. $20,000-up).
Candy and gum card connoisseurs will compete for a mint example of Babe Ruth’s E121 American Caramel (est. $50,000-up) a wide array of singles and group lots from Topps, Goudey, Play Ball and the No. 1 all-time finest 1948-49 Leaf Master Set. The auction includes multiple 1952 Topps Mickey Mantle cards including a recently graded PSA 8 from a childhood collection that’s expected to fetch $400,000 or more.
Fans of unopened material will have a chance to bid on a never before offered 1959 Topps 4th Series baseball cello box with 36 packs that’s expected to reach deep into five figures.
Other highlights include:
- 2000 Playoff Contenders Tom Brady Championship Ticket Autograph #144, BGS NM-MT+ 8.5 – 10 Autograph, Numbered 82/100 (est. $60,000-up)
- A Gem Mint 10, 1969 Topps Mickey Mantle (Yellow Letters) #500, PSA, (est. $50,000 – up)
- 2000 Upper Deck SPX Tom Brady Spectrum #130, PSA Gem Mint 10, #5 of just 25 known to exist (est. $50,000-up)
- 1976 Topps Walter Payton #148, SGC 100 Pristine (est. $40,000-up)
- A unique 1951 Topps Major League All-Stars Yogi Berra (Hand Cut Proof), PSA Authentic (est. $40,000-up)
- The highest graded 1909-11 T206 Sweet Caporal 350/25 Cy Young (Glove Shows), PSA NM-MT 8 (est. $30,000-up)
- 1957 Topps Bill Russell #77, PSA NM-MT 8 (est. $25,000-up)