There’s a new highest priced vintage baseball card of all time.
Mile High Card Company says it has sold a PSA 3 T206 Honus Wagner card for $3.25 million in a private transaction.
The price eclipses the $3.12 million price tag for the PSA 5 (MC) “Jumbo” Wagner purchased in 2016. It also makes it the second most expensive sports card of any kind ever sold, trailing only the $3.9 million paid Goldin Auctions in August for the 1/1 2009 Bowman Chrome Mike Trout Superfractor.
Only three other Wagner cards have been awarded higher grades by PSA.
“We’ve seen a lot of high-profile cards leave our office to record prices this year, but to hold the record for 1909-11 T206 Wagner sales at three different grade levels as well as the highest price ever paid, that’s something we’re especially proud of,” said MHCC President and CEO Brian Drent.
The PSA 3 Wagner sold by Drent’s company last sold in November of 2000 when the now-defunct Mastro Auctions sold it for $145,314. It has been in a private collection ever since, netting the owner a profit of $3,104,686 in 20 years.
Another PSA 3 Wagner sold for $1.32 million through Robert Edward Auctions in 2015. Only one other Wagner carries a PSA 3 grade.
MHCC’s next auction is in December.
Top 6 Most Expensive Sports Cards Sold to Date
- 2009 Bowman Chrome SuperFractor Mike Trout $3.9 million (8/20)
- 1909-1911 T206 Honus Wagner PSA 3 $3.25 million (10/7)
- 1909-1911 T206 Honus Wagner PSA 5 (MC) $3.12 million (10/16)
- 1952 Topps Mickey Mantle PSA 9 $2.88 million (4/18)
- T206 Honus Wagner PSA 8 $2.8 million (9/07)
- 2013-14 Panini National Treasures Logoman Patch Autograph Giannis Antetokounmpo Rookie $1.85 million (9/20)