The lone PSA 10 graded example of George Mikan’s 1948 Bowman rookie card sold for $403,664 in SCP Auctions’ 2015 Fall Premier online auction, which concluded early Sunday morning. The card previously sold in 2009 when SCP purchased it for a client, but this auction nearly doubled its previous world record price.
The entire auction of more than 1,000 sports memorabilia lots brought in more than $4 million.
“It’s great to see that a card of Mikan, a player who redefined his sport, is now redefining the vintage basketball card market,” said SCP Auctions Vice President Dan Imler.
Other top lots included a rare 1969 Ernie Banks game-worn Cubs road jersey from a season in which “Mr. Cub” clubbed 23 home runs that sold for $161,484; a 1970 Gem Mint 10 Topps Basketball rookie card (#123) of Pete Maravich that went for $130,053; and a circa 1929, dual-signed baseball autographed by Babe Ruth and Lou Gehrig captured $110,110.
All prices include a buyer’s premium.
A complete set of 1952 Topps Baseball cards from long-time collector Jeff Figler sold for $75,205, while the E. Lisk Wyckoff Collection celebrating the history of the New York Yankees was led by the $27,584 sale of a Don Larsen signed and inscribed game-used baseball from his Game 5 perfect game in the 1956 World Series.
The Jo Jo White Basketball Collection, meanwhile, brought in $104,029, led by the sale of his 2008 Boston Celtics NBA Championship ring for $53,758.
Other highlights from the auction included:
- 1980-81 Wayne Gretzky Edmonton Oilers Game Worn Road Jersey – $100,266
- An Oversized, Framed Babe Ruth Signed and Inscribed Photo from Dec. 25, 1927 – $82,863
- One-of-a-Kind 1957-58 Topps Basketball Complete Set Uncut Sheet – $82,726
- Thurman Munson’s 1979 Final Season New York Yankees Game Worn Home Uniform – $75,205
- Carl Shy’s 1936 Gold Medal as a Member of the First U.S. Olympic Basketball Team – $66,632
A 1951 Joe DiMaggio game-worn Yankee uniform did not meet the reserve price.
Full auction results are available at www.scpauctions.com.