by Jim Rogers
One of the reasons that collectors attend the National Sports Collectors Convention each year is because of the promotions that are offered exclusively at the National. This event is a showcase for the upcoming products produced by the major sports card companies.
My picks for the top ten promotions at the National in no specific order are:
- Children that are 12 and under are free all week. This is a great way to promote the future of sports collecting.
- All attendees at the Sneak Peek on Wednesday, August 4 will receive free Baltimore Orioles tickets for that evening.
- Sunday, August 8 is family day and families including up to 4 family members will get in for $25.
- If you are talking bang for your buck, check out the TNA package ($129) that includes 15 autographs, a box of newly released TNA Icons, and 4 photo opportunities with the likes of Mick Foley, Rob Van Dam, Kurt Angle, Madison Rayne, Velvet Sky, and Lacey Von Erich.
- FreedomCardboard.com is offering three free autograph guests at their booth during the show. They are Junichi Tazawa of the Boston Red Sox (Friday at 3:00), Dirk Hayhurst of the Toronto BlueJays (Saturday afternoon), and Baltimore Orioles prospect, Josh Bell (TBA).
- The Tristar Wrapper Redemption program works like this: 1) open one pack of Tristar cards at the designated booth and 2) redeem the wrapper for one free card in the 10 card Obak set exclusive to the National.
- The Upper Deck Wrapper Redemption program includes the following steps: 1) open five packs of Upper Deck cards that retail for $1.99 or more per pack and 2) redeem the wrappers for a special five-card set that is different each day. Also note that the packs will have randomly inserted autographs of Michael Jordan, Gordie Howe, and Lebron James.
- The Topps Wrapper Redemption program requires that one: 1) open ten packs of Topps product excluding some less expensive issues and 2) redeem wrappers for a 2010 Topps Heritage card of Stephen Strasburg that is numbered to 999. In addition, Topps will be giving away codes for previously produced cards as part of its Topps Million Card Giveaway each day at the show. Limit one code per person per day.
- The Press Pass Wrapper Redemption program is set up as follows: 1) open a box of any 2010 Press Pass product at the corporate booth and 2) redeem for a free autographed or dual memorabilia card and entry into special daily drawings and pack wars.
10. The Panini Wrapper Redemption program states that: 1) if you open 5 packs of any current NFL or NBA packs 2) will receive a free pack created for the National with randomly inserted autographs, parallels, and signed 8x10s.