Fans looking to add to their authentic game-worn collections can support a worthy cause at the same time over the next couple of months as the league and NFL Players Association kick off their 2013 NFL pink breast cancer auctions.
The fifth annual screening initiative and fundraising campaign got underway in NFL stadiums this past weekend. In collaboration with the American Cancer Society, the initiative, called “A Crucial Catch: Annual Screening Saves Lives,” reminds women 40 and older about the importance of having an annual mammogram.
Among the first items up for bid will be Aaron Rodgers’ game-worn jersey from Sunday’s 22-9 Green Bay Packers win over the Detroit Lions. Dozens of other items worn in league games will be added in the weeks to come.
Since 2009, the NFL’s program has raised approximately $4.5 million for the American Cancer Society, with the majority of the contribution coming from the sale of Breast Cancer Awareness-identified pink merchandise at retail and via the NFL Auction website.
Money raised through A Crucial Catch supports the CHANGE initiative, the American Cancer Society’s Community Health Advocates implementing National Grants for Empowerment and Equity program. This program provides outreach and breast cancer screenings.
Through Week 7 of the season, NFL breast cancer awareness games will feature:
- Game balls, with pink ribbon logos will be used for every down, and pink kicking tees
- Pink equipment for players including: cleats, wristbands, gloves, sideline hats, helmet decals, captains’ patches, chin cups, shoe laces, skull caps, sideline towels, eye shield decals and quarterback towels
- Pink coins used for the coin toss
- Pink sideline hats for coaches and sideline personnel and pink ribbon pins for coaches and team executives
- Special hats, pink wristbands, whistles and pins for game officials
- On-field pink ribbon stencils and A Crucial Catch wall banners
- Pink goal post padding in end zones
- Breast cancer awareness pompoms, shirts and wristbands for cheerleaders
Game-worn pink merchandise and footballs will be autographed and auctioned at NFL Auction. All proceeds from the sale of breast cancer awareness items in the 2013 pink NFL game worn auction will benefit the American Cancer Society.
TAKE 20% OFF at Steiner Sports with code SPORTS20