The National Sports Collectors Convention will hold its first “National Vintage Break” in Chicago this summer, offering some high-end items in exchange for a $2,500 buy in.
Sponsored by Heritage Auctions and Ripping Wax, the event will be held at the Case Break Pavilion at the Donald E Stephens Convention Center, Saturday, August 1 at noon.
The event will be limited to 15 participants who will assemble on the Amazon Sports Collectibles Main Stage to participate in the live vintage break (hit draft), which will be simulcast online. Each participant will purchase a spot with a $2,500 entry fee.
Using random.org the fifteen participants’ names will be selected to determine draft order. The live draft itself will then take place on the main stage where participants can select from the list of items below.
NSCC officials say the estimated value of what’s being offered is over $40,000. Those who draft in the first several spots will fare better than those who draw one of the higher numbered slots.
Among the items offered:
- Babe Ruth signed baseball with Gary Cooper and the cast of “The Pride of the Yankees“
- Michael Jordan signed 1984 rookie style jersey
- Mickey Mantle and Roger Maris signed baseball
- Lou Gehrig signed album page
- 1955 Jackie Robinson signed World Series greatest thrill questionnaire
- Ted Williams signed baseball bat
- 1933 Goudey Lou Gehrig #92 SGC 70 EX+ 5.5
- 2010 Albert Pujols game used bat
- Wayne Gretzky game used, signed hockey stick
- Mickey Mantle signed baseball bat
- 500 Home Run Club multi-signed baseball
- 1961 Topps Mickey Mantle #300 PSA NM 7
- 1932 Ty Cobb signed check
- Michael Jordan& Muhammad Ali Signed Oversized Photograph
- 1909-11 T206 Sweet Caporal Ty Cobb, Red portrait PSA VG 3
“Chris Ivy of Heritage Auctions and David Gelfman of RippingWax.com have created a high-profile live event that attracts and includes current trading card collectors and vintage memorabilia collectors simultaneously on-site and on-line, a truly unique and exciting concept,” said Mike Berkus, NSCC Co-Director in a news release.
Over 50,000 collectors, sports fans, exhibitors and 90 current and former athletes are expected to converge on Stephens Convention Center during the NSCC, which takes place July 29 thru August 2.