Deshaun Watson has taken over the top spot in the new NFLPA Panini Trading Card Index for rookies.
The list ranks the top-performing football players (15 rookies, 15 veterans) in the sports card industry. It was created last year by the NFLPA and Panini. Rankings are based on several key factors, including secondary-market transactions, overall trading volume and collectibility based on on-field performance and expectations (e.g., rookie hype and collector speculation).
Watson’s emergence as a dual-threat starting quarterback for the Houston Texans resulted in a shuffling of the rankings from the second quarter index, which was released after the NFL Draft. Watson claims the new No. 1 position, up from No. 2 in the last Index. Similar upward mobility was exhibited by Carolina Panthers running back Christian McCaffrey, who claims the No. 3 spot after debuting at No. 4.
Completing the top five in the third quarter are Jacksonville Jaguars running back Leonard Fournette (No. 2), Chicago Bears quarterback Mitchell Trubisky (No. 4) and fast-rising Kansas City Chiefs running back Kareem Hunt (No. 5).
The veteran Index was topped by Tom Brady, still scorching hot after the New England Patriots’ comeback victory in the Super Bowl eight months ago. It marks Brady’s fifth No. 1 ranking in the last six Index releases. Dallas Cowboys sophomores Dak Prescott and Ezekiel Elliott remain top-five staples at No. 2 and No. 5, respectively.
Key sales driving the final rookie rankings this quarter include a 1/1 2017 Unparalleled Football Christian McCaffrey NFL Shield Autograph card that sold for $2,400 and a 2017 Immaculate Collegiate Football Deshaun Watson ACC Patch autograph card that sold for $1,375. Key veteran sales driving Q3 rankings include a 2000 Contenders Football Tom Brady autographed Rookie Card that changed hands for $9,300 and a one-of-a-kind Dak Prescott autographed card from 2016 Contenders Football sold for $7,101.
The 2017 NFLPA Panini Trading Card Index: Rookies (3Q)
- Deshaun Watson, Houston Texans
- Leonard Fournette, Jacksonville Jaguars
- Christian McCaffrey, Carolina Panthers
- Mitchell Trubisky, Chicago Bears
- Kareem Hunt, Kansas City Chiefs
- Dalvin Cook, Minnesota Vikings
- DeShone Kizer, Cleveland Browns
- Patrick Mahomes, Kansas City Chiefs
- T.J. Watt, Pittsburgh Steelers
- D’Onta Foreman, Houston Texans
- Joe Mixon, Cincinnatti Bengals
- James Conner, Pittsburgh Steelers
- Kenny Golladay, Detroit Lions
- Cooper Kupp, Los Angeles Rams
- Corey Davis, Tennessee Titans
The 2017 NFLPA Panini Trading Card Index: Veterans (3Q)
- Tom Brady, New England Patriots
- Dak Prescott, Dallas Cowboys
- Derek Carr, Oakland Raiders
- Aaron Rodgers, Green Bay Packers
- Ezekiel Elliott, Dallas Cowboys
- Carson Wentz, Philadelphia Eagles
- Le’Veon Bell, Pittsburgh Steelers
- Odell Beckham Jr., New York Giants
- Jameis Winston, Tampa Bay Buccaneers
- Mike Evans, Tampa Bay Buccaneers
- Jared Goff, Los Angeles Rams
- Tyreek Hill, Kansas City Chiefs
- J. Watt, Houston Texans
- Joey Bosa, Los Angeles Chargers
- Matt Ryan, Atlanta Falcons