Some of the hobby’s most recognizable sports cards, including what could well be the best PSA 8 1951 Bowman Mickey Mantle rookie in existence, go on the auction block Monday as Mile High Card Company opens its 2017 Spring Auction.
In addition to the Mantle rookie–and another mid-grade example of the same card– the auction will also include a BVG 8 1952 Topps Mantle, a second’52 Mantle rated SGC 60 (EX) and two other key rookie cards from the ’51 Bowman set: PSA 8 rookie cards of Willie Mays and Whitey Ford.
Collectors will also find a near mint copy of the ultra-scarce 1948-49 Leaf Satchel Paige, a 1909-11 T206 Sweet Caporal 350/30 Ty Cobb Bat Off Shoulder PSA 8, a 1909 T204 Ramly Walter Johnson SGC 82 EX/MT+ 6.5, 1933 Goudey #144 Babe Ruth PSA 8, a 1925-31 Walter Johnson Louisville Slugger game bat (GU 8) and a Babe Ruth single-signed baseball.
“There are about 15 items that could have been the auction headliner at any other time, including a few pieces that are unquestionably museum quality” said MHCC President Brian Drent.
The 1951 Bowman Mantle was recently graded and Drent strongly disagrees with the assigned NM/MT rating, stating it “compares aesthetically with any mint example in existence.” The company’s catalog description expresses a belief that the card “should have been assessed at minimum a half grade or more in advance of its offered state.” The lot title labels it “the finest 8 in the hobby.” Bidding will open Monday at $35,000.
The auction also includes a 1935 Zeenut Joe DiMaggio (throwing version) complete with coupon graded PSA 2 MK, a 1939 Play Ball #92 Ted Williams PSA 8, a 1956 Topps Mantle (gray back) PSA 9, a 1960 Topps #350 Mantle PSA 9, 1968 Topps Johnny Bench Rookie PSA 10, 1986 Fleer #57 Michael Jordan PSA 10 and a 1979 O-Pee-Chee #18 Wayne Gretzky PSA 9.
Other notable cards include
- 1909 T206 John McGraw Finger in Air SGC 88
- 1909-11 T206 Piedmont 350/25 Addie Joss Portrait PSA 8
- 1910 E98 Frank Chance SGC 92
- 1915 Cracker Jack #66 Nap Lajoie PSA 8
- 1916 H801-9 The Globe #182 Hans Wagner PSA 7
- 1916 M101-5 Sporting News Blank Back #86 Joe Jackson SGC 80
- 1933 Goudey #53 Babe Ruth SGC 80
- 1948 Leaf #79 Jackie Robinson PSA 6
- 1951 Bowman #253 Mickey Mantle rookie PSA 5
- 1951 Bowman #305 Willie Mays rookie SGC 80
- 1952 Topps #261 Willie Mays SGC 84
- 1956 Topps #135 Mickey Mantle PSA 8.5
- 1960 Topps #326 Roberto Clemente PSA 9
- 1960 Topps #350 Mickey Mantle PSA 9
- 1961 Topps #300 Mickey Mantle PSA 9
- 1962 Topps #387 Lou Brock Star Rookie PSA 9
- 1966 Topps #50 Mickey Mantle PSA 9
- 1967 Topps #355 Carl Yastrzemski PSA 10
- 1967 Topps #581 Tom Seaver PSA 9 Autographed PSA/DNA 9
- 1968 Topps 3-D Boog Powell (stamped reverse) PSA 9 MINT
- 1969 Topps #500 Mickey Mantle PSA 9
- 1957 Topps #138 John Unitas rookie PSA 8
- 1959 Topps #140 Bobby Mitchell PSA 10 GEM MINT and 1958 Topps #66 Bobby Hull PSA 7 NM.
The Walter Johnson bat heads up a section that also includes a Rogers Hornsby game bat rated PSA/DNA GU 8, a Babe Ruth single signed baseball, a rare 1900 Paris Summer Olympic Games gold medal for automobile racing made of 22K solid gold, and a rare 1901 Hans Wagner cigar box.
Hockey card collectors will also see quite a run of uncut sheets from the 1960s-1980s, including a 1964 Topps proof sheet with numerous Hall of Famers and a 1979-80 O-Pee-Chee complete set on uncut sheets with a clean copy of Wayne Gretzky’s rookie card.
The auction includes 50 sets and near sets, many of which are among the hobby’s best including a 1923-24 V145-1 William Paterson set, the number two current finest on PSA’s Set Registry. The top-ranked 1921 Schapira Brothers Babe Ruth set will also be up for grabs as well as a 1953 Topps near set (272/274) with a 6.35 rating.
Mile High’s next auction will take place in May and consignments are being accepted. Call (303) 840-2784, visit www.milehighcardco.com. or bring your items to the company’s booth at the Philly Show March 3rd-March 5th or the Fanatics Authentic Sports Spectacular in Chicago March 17th-March 19th.