Derek Jeter of the New York Yankees, Joe Mauer of the Minnesota Twins and Roy Halladay of the Philadelphia Phillies top the list of most popular baseball jerseys released by Major League Baseball and the Major League Baseball Players Association. The sales figures are based on sales of official Majestic jerseys in 2010.
In addition, 12 of the top 20 players are under the age of 30.
The Phillies have the most players in the top 20 with four (Halladay, Chase Utley, Cliff Lee and Ryan Howard).
Three rookies cracked the top 20 list, including Atlanta’s Jason Heyward, Washington’s Stephen Strasburg and San Francisco’s Buster Posey.
The top 20 include ten infielders, four pitchers, four outfielders and two catchers. Of the top 20, 16 were All-Stars in 2010 and 15 played on teams that reached the Postseason.
MLB Most Popular Jerseys
Based on Majestic 2010 sales figures
- Derek Jeter, New York Yankees
- Joe Mauer, Minnesota Twins
- Roy Halladay, Philadelphia Phillies
- Chase Utley, Philadelphia Phillies
- *Cliff Lee, Philadelphia Phillies
- Albert Pujols, St. Louis Cardinals
- Josh Hamilton, Texas Rangers
- Dustin Pedroia, Boston Red Sox
- Alex Rodriguez, New York Yankees
- Tim Lincecum, San Francisco Giants
- Mark Teixeira, New York Yankees
- Jason Heyward, Atlanta Braves
- Stephen Strasburg, Washington Nationals
- Ryan Braun, Milwaukee Brewers
- Justin Morneau, Minnesota Twins
- Jacoby Ellsbury, Boston Red Sox
- Ian Kinsler, Texas Rangers
- Ryan Howard, Philadelphia Phillies
- Buster Posey, San Francisco Giants
- Evan Longoria, Tampa Bay Rays
*Lee played for the Seattle Mariners and Texas Rangers in 2010, before signing with Philadelphia in November. His ranking reflects sales of jerseys for all three teams.
Also, Major League Baseball announced that sales of officially licensed MLB merchandise reached an all-time high in 2010, with total licensing revenues up +6% over the previous year. Products featuring the marks of the Yankees, Red Sox, Dodgers, Phillies and Cubs were the hottest sellers in 2010 (top ten listed below).
MLB Licensing 2010 Club Rankings
Based on sales of all licensed products for the 2010 calendar year
- New York Yankees
- Boston Red Sox
- Los Angeles Dodgers
- Philadelphia Phillies
- Chicago Cubs
- St. Louis Cardinals
- Chicago White Sox
- Atlanta Braves
- Minnesota Twins
- Detroit Tigers