The second installment of Bill Russell’s personal memorabilia collection, including a game-worn jersey, are about to go on the auction block.
They’ll be part of the April 22 Premier Live event conducted by Hunt Auctions, which sold the first group of items from the basketball icon last December for more than $7.4 million.
The additional items will include historic basketball, civil rights, and other artifacts. The autographed white Celtics home jersey is estimated to bring between $400,000 and $600,000.
Russell will donate part of the proceeds to MENTOR, a non-profit organization he helped to found more than three decades ago.
“Bill embodies the very essence of the title ‘champion’,” stated David Hunt, President of Hunt Auctions. “His unwavering commitment to victory, to his team, and ultimately to a greater good for those that would follow him in both sports and life is perhaps without equal.”
In addition to the jersey, the auction will also include:
- Bill Russell Boston Celtics professional model warm up jacket c.1960s (Est. $50,000-$100,000)
- 1955 Bill Russell Helms Athletics Foundation Player of Year Award (Est. $5,000-$7,500)
- Bill Russell 1956 Olympic Basketball warm up suit (Est. $25,000-$50,000)
- Bill Russell Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame replica ring (Est. $10,000-$20,000)
- Bill Russell personal check signed to and endorsed by Jim Brown (Est. $1,000-$2,000)
A succinct group of items from the personal collection of former Celtics coach Red Auerbach will be offered including his 1986 Boston Celtic NBA Championship ring estimated at $100,000-$300,000.
Several private collections of vintage sports cards will be presented within the auction including another round of the historic “Texan Collection”. In addition, several single owner and estate collections of baseball tobacco cards will be sold many of which for the first time publicly. A newly consigned collection of 200+ Old Judge baseball tobacco cards is part of the catalog.
“Texan Collection” and Vintage Sports Card Highlights
- Scarce Babe Ruth “Straw Hat” New York Yankees real photographic postcard (Est. $15,000-$25,000)
- Mickey Welch N-Unc. Baseball tobacco card c.1885-86 (Est. $15,000-$25,000)
- 1909-11 T-206 Addie Joss with red Hindu back (Est. $10,000-$15,000)
- 1909-11 T-206 Christy Mathewson (white cap)(SGC 8 NM-MT) (Est. $10,000-$20,000)
- 1921 Babe Ruth Exhibit card (PSA 2 GD) (Est. $10,000-$15,000)
- 1933 Goudey baseball card advertising poster with Babe Ruth (Est. $5,000-$10,000)
- 1933 Goudey Babe Ruth #53 (SGC 2.5 GD+) (Est. $10,000-$15,000)
- 2000 Playoff Contenders factory sealed box (Brady) (Est. $40,000-$60,000)
The second portion of an important private collection of historic baseball tickets will be featured within the April sale, along with select additions. The tickets had been curated over several decades with many ranking among the finest within their medium having been recently graded by PSA.
The single owner collection will be supported by other consigned pieces, including a Michael Jordan debut game ticket stub and 1966 NCAA Finals ticket stub in the game that featured the first all African American starting five.
Ticket Collection Highlights:
- July 17, 1941 Joe DiMaggio Hit Streak 56th game stub (PSA 6 EX-MT)(Highest Graded) (Est. $5,000-$10,000)
- 1938 “Homer in the Gloamin” stub (Est. $1,000-$2,000)
- 1932 Babe Ruth “Called Shot” World Series stub (PSA 4 VG-EX) (Est. $5,000-$7,500)
- 1919 World Series Game #1 “The Fix is On” stub (Est. $2,000-$3,000)
- June 30, 1909 Forbes Field Inaugural Game stub (Est. $2,000-$4,000)
- Rare 1984 Michael Jordan Chicago Bulls debut stub (Bulls Season Ticket Variant) (Est. $100,000-$200,000)
- Rare 1966 NCAA Finals “Glory Road” stub (Est. $15,000-$25,000)
The auction will also include a pair of 1986-87 Michael Jordan shoes with direct Chicago Bulls staff member provenance estimated at $25,000-$50,000.
The auction will be live on Wednesday. There are over 1,100 total lots with a live finale set for noon ET on Friday April 12. The online only section of the sale will close at 10pm ET on the same date.