Sports Collectors Daily has learned that Basketball Hall of Famer John Havlicek has consigned memorabilia from his long college and pro career to SCP Auctions which plans to sell the items in its April catalog auction.
The collection includes everything from Havlicek’s Ohio State letterman’s jacket to NBA Championship rings earned as a member of the fabled Celtics teams of the 1960s and 70s to game worn jerseys and autographed warm-up tops.
SCP Auctions President David Kohler calls the grouping “one of the biggest ever to be offered to collectors”.
SCP recently handled the sales of memorabilia from Julius Erving, Oscar Robertson, David Thompson, Sam Jones and Ozzie Smith, among others. Havlicek, it appears, is one of those athletes who saved virtually everything.
The man they called “Hondo” played 16 NBA seasons, all with Boston, and won eight NBA titles. One of the 50 greatest players of all time, Havlicek made 13 All-Star appearances and the complete uniforms from all of those games will be offered in the auction.
He finished in 1977-78 by played in all 82 games for the Celtics and averaging 16 points per game at age 38. He scored 29 points in his last ever game, played at the Boston Garden where fans saluted him with an eight-minute standing ovation before the contest.
Havlicek is now 72 and spends most of his time away from basketball.
Havlicek Collection Highlights
- 1963 Boston Celtics World Championship Ring
- Personal NBA 50 Greatest Players Autographed Lithograph (Havlicek 1/1)
- Naismith Memorial Hall Of Fame Enshrinement Award
- 1960’s Signed Boston Celtics Home White Fleece Game Worn Warm-Up Jacket
- 1966 Signed NBA All-Star Game Worn Jersey And Shorts
- 1962 Ohio State University Worn Letterman Jacket
- June 6, 1976 NBA Finals Game 6 (Championship Clinching) Game Ball
- Collection of NBA All-Star Rings
- 1960 Ohio State NCAA National Championship Watch
- 1978 Boston Celtics Retirement Trophy
“We are thrilled to handle this historic basketball collection from one of the all-time greats and Captain of the Boston Celtics,” Kohler stated.
[…] He called SCP Auctions, which is known for selling off player collections and a deal was struck. […]
[…] Havlicek Consigns Collection to SCP Auctions for April Sale Havlicek Auction Will Feature Game Uniforms, Celtics Rings, Trophies __________________ […]