Jackie Robinson made $35,000 playing 2nd base for the Brooklyn Dodgers in 1950. At least one of his old jerseys is worth nearly ten times that amount.
A number of vintage game worn uniforms made their way into Grey Flannel’s last auction of 2007, but one stood out.
A nearly pristine 1951 Brooklyn Dodgers home jersey worn by Hall of Famer Jackie Robinson was clearly the top item in the sale which closed early Thursday morning. The shirt brought $284,816. Grey Flannel’s 20% buyer’s premium pushed the final realized price to $341,779.
Two other game-worn jerseys brought over $40,000 each. A 1969 Willie Mays road jersey, autographed, was purchased for $45,573 while a 1962 Stan Musial game-used Cardinals’ flannel went for $41,430.
Over 900 lots were up for bid in the sale.
- 1994 Alex Rodriguez game worn teal Mariners jersey (auto) $29,881
- 1972-73 Wilt Chamberlain game worn home Lakers jersey $27,584
- Early 1970s Bobby Orr game worn road jersey $25,410
- Babe Ruth single-signed baseball $21,600
- 1990-91 Mark Messier game worn jersey with team LOA $21,223
For complete auction results: Grey Flannel Auctions