Wanna play golf with Joe Montana? Surprise your friend or better half with an audio or video message from the likes of Jerry Rice or spend the day with Sugar Ray (Leonard, that is)? Maybe a personalized Barry Sanders jersey or pair of game-worn Kobe Bryant shoes are good enough. You can literally order all of those things—and others—via a start-up company called IfOnly.com.
IfOnly is the brainchild of San Francisco tech entrepreneur Trevor Traina, who has plenty of money but also a pretty unique idea for charity fundraising. IfOnly brings sports, entertainment and culinary stars together with fans for one-on-one experiences and personalized autographs and messages at prices that range from $5 to $75,000 and more. The website partners with the celebrities and their favorite charities, pocketing a percentage of the price of the item or experience. The celebs must give at least 10% to their charity but most, Traina says, often donate most or all of the proceeds.
Celebrities and athletes have become more accessible via social media in recent years but IfOnly is designed to take the interaction a step further. While spending $35,000 to play golf with Jeremy Roenick might be out of your budget, you can buy a signed stick for $285 and the charity still benefits on either level.
Causes who are being helped by IfOnly’s venture include The Salvation Army, The Boys and Girls Club, Meals on Wheels and the private foundations that have been created by the athlete or celebrity.
Among the items available on the company’s website:
- Personal video or audio messages from Joe Montana, Jerry Rice and Ronnie Lott
- Signed Barry Sanders jersey, helmet, photo or Madden 25 game
- Barbeque at Montana’s house
- Game-worn Kobe Bryant shoes or signed basketball
- Signed Ronnie Lott football
- Meet and greet with Bryant at a Lakers’ game
- Workout with Rice at his famously difficult “Hill”
- Clinics with Olympic athletes Summer Sanders, Dan Jansen, Bonnie Blair or Brian Boitano
- Private quarterback camp with Montana
- Visit ESPN with Ray Lewis as your guide
- Signed stick or puck from Jeremy Roenick
- Golf with Roenick
- Marshall Faulk signed football
- Marcus Allen autographs
- Private dinner with Allen plus Super Bowl tickets
You can also create your own package and suggest a price you’d be willing to pay.
IfOnly says more athletes and celebs will be added soon.