Hunt Auctions is offering a huge private collection of historic baseball photography in its newly-launched Premier Live Internet catalog. Curated over a 30-year period, the company says the collection “is one of the most substantive and important baseball photographic groupings to have ever been offered at public auction.”
Images taken by numerous master photographers are included such as Louis Van Oeyen, Charles Conlon, George Grantham Bain, and Leroy Merriken. The subject matter dates from the 1860s period up until the 1950-60s era and includes original images of Babe Ruth, Ty Cobb, Christy Mathewson, Jackie Robinson, Joe Jackson, Lou Gehrig, Walter Johnson, and several historic team photos.
“Hunt Auctions has been privileged to offer some of the most important baseball photography to have been sold at public auction over the last 26 years,” said company President David Hunt. “This particular collection is one of the very finest that I am aware of with special note to its overall quality and exemplary imagery. This auction truly marks a uncommon offering of the very pinnacle for its collecting field.”
The auction will include over 700 lots with numerous highlights to include:
- Selection of 30 original Carl Horner baseball cabinet photographs (Est. $500-$10,000 each)
- “Shoeless” Joe Jackson photograph c.1919 (PSA/DNA Type I) (Est. $5,000-$7,500)
- Babe Ruth Boston Red Sox photograph c. 1915 (PSA/DNA Type I) (Est. $5,000-$10,000)
- 1902 Boston American team photograph (Est. $2,000-$4,000)
- Lou Gehrig rookie era photograph c.1925 (W590 card image) (Est. $3,000-$5,000)
- Cache of 1919 World Series photographs incl. Joe Jackson (Est. $2,500-$5,000)
A preview of items from the photo collection will be on display at the EPSCC Philly Show from March 1-3 in the Hunt Auctions booth.
In addition to the baseball photography collection the auction includes higher end baseball cards and memorabilia to include:
- 1933 Goudey Baseball card set incl. rare Nap Lajoie
- 1919 World Series game used baseball (Ray Schalk provenance)
- 1906 World Series program at Chicago
- 2002 Mariano Rivera New York Yankees game worn road jersey
- 2006 Derek Jeter New York Yankees Spr. Training game worn jersey
Bidding runs through March 6 via online proxy bids, live interactive internet bidding through the Invaluable platform, and live telephone bids. More information can be obtained by emailing [email protected] or calling 610.524.0822.
Hunt Auctions’ next live auction event will be the personal collection of Babe Ruth which will take place on June 15 at Yankee Stadium. A very limited amount of consignments are being accepted for the Babe Ruth auction at [email protected]