High-end cards joined some game-worn jerseys from iconic players at the top of the results from Heritage Auctions’ Winter Platinum Night sale. The two-night event saw 22 different items sell for more than $100,000 and combined total sales of nearly $13 million.
The four top items in the auction were all centered on two New York Yankee greats. A 1941 Play Ball Joe DiMaggio card topped all sales with the lone Gem Mint 10 example graded by PSA selling for $750,000 while a jersey dating to the 1947 World Series and carrying the late outfielder’s signature, netted $372,000.
A NM/MT 8 1952 Topps Mantle card sold for $360,666, roughly the same price as another PSA 8 sold by Mile High Card Company in January and roughly the same figure attained by a Mantle jersey photo-matched to use in the 1960 and ’61 World Series.
Also topping the $300,000 mark was one of three PSA Mint 9 examples of the T206 Ty Cobb “Bat Off Shoulder” cards, which found a new home for $324,000.
However, it wasn’t just top-level vintage cards that attracted crowds of deep pockets. Big bucks were also spent on cards featuring two active icons. A 2003-04 Upper Deck Exquisite card graded 9 by Beckett reached $264,000 while one of the best copies of the 2009 Bowman Chrome Mike Trout Orange Refractor Autograph soared to $168,000. Numbered to 25, it carried a 9.5 grade from BGS.
In addition to the Mantle and DiMaggio jerseys mentioned above, other game-used material drew a crowd. A 1910-15 Ty Cobb Game Used Bat, PSA/DNA GU 9.5, realized $216,000. The bat dates to the last six seasons of Cobb’s nine-year reign as American League batting champion.
A George Brett jersey attributed to the infamous 1983 “Pine Tar game,” signed by Brett, netted $174,000. The home run ball Brett launched to ignite the protest by Yankees manager Billy Martin that day was also offered in the auction and sold for $63,000.
The lone PSA Mint 9 example of Mickey Mantle’s 1954 Bowman card sold for $168,000 while a 1965-66 Willie Mays San Francisco Giants home jersey went for $150,000.
Additional highlights included:
- $144,000: The only example known of a signed 1909-11 T206 Ty Cobb green portrait card, PSA/DNA Authentic
- $108,000: 1964 New York Yankees American League Championship Rolex Wristwatch Presented to Mickey Mantle
- $102,000: 1997-98 Michael Jordan Game Worn & Signed Chicago Bulls Jersey, photo matched and accompanied by team letter
- $69,000: 1963 Lee Harvey Oswald’s Last Paycheck, issued for his employment during the period John F. Kennedy assassination
- $63,000: 1973-74 Oscar Robertson Game Worn Milwaukee Bucks Jersey, photo matched to 1974 NBA Finals and accompanied by a letter from Robertson
- $78,000: 2013 Tom Brady Game Worn New England Patriots Jersey, photo matched to three games
Complete results can be found here.