It’s not open for bidding until next week, but if you’re a fan of sports card time capsules, we can tell you the upcoming Heritage Auctions catalog will have a lot of it. And if 1970s wax is your jam, you might want to sit down and strap on a bib.
Set to start next Thursday, the catalog will have over 300 lots of unopened material, including boxes, cases and vintage packs. It’s not just baseball, either.
Among the highlights are a trio of 1979-80 Topps hockey boxes: a pair of 1979-80 O-Pee-Chee 48-pack boxes, one of which has a Wayne Gretzky rooking card on the bottom of a pack that’s expected to sell for over $100,000. There’s also a ’79-80 Topps hockey box of 36 packs and a ’79-80 Topps vending box.
A rarely seen 1970-71 Topps basketball box from the second series, which features card numbers 89 through 176. Expected to bring $60,000 or more, the box likely holds at least a couple of Pete Maravich rookie cards. Each of the 36 packs from the “tall boy” box also has a “Giant Action Poster” insert.
Among the other basketball boxes in the sale:
- Two 1972-73 Topps basketball
- Two 1980-81 Topps basketball
- Three 2009-10 Exquisite boxes with outer case ($50,000 +)
- Hybrid 1986-87 Fleer basketball box
- 1996-97 Topps Chrome basketball box
- 2003-04 Upper Deck Finite case
- 1968 Topps 1st Series ($30,000+)
- 1971 Topps 2nd Series ($30,000+)
- 1970 Topps 1st Series
- 1972 Topps 1st, 2nd and 3rd Series boxes
- 1973 Topps vending box
- 1974 Topps wax box
- 1975 Topps wax box
- Three 1976 Topps cello boxes and two wax boxes
- Three wax and three cello boxes of 1986 Topps football
Baseball material will include:
- 1970 Topps 1st and 2nd Series boxes
- 1980 Topps vending case
- 1974 and 1975 OPC boxes
- Three 1975 Topps cello boxes
- 1975 Topps regular and mini wax boxes
- 1954 Topps 5-cent wax pack
- 13 packs of 1967 Topps baseball plus box
- 1972 Topps 2nd Series wax box
- 1973 Topps wax box
- 2011 Topps Update box
- 2009 Bowman Draft box
Dozens of individual graded vintage packs will also be part of the auction, which is slated to close over three nights, December 10-13.