Two more Hall of Fame caliber athletes have consigned numerous items from their personal memorabilia collections to auction.
SCP Auctions, which will sell a 1936 Jesse Owens gold medal, the ball hit by Shane Victorino to propel the Boston Red Sox to the American League Championship and a group of game-used and autographed Jackie Robinson items in its fall catalog auction, announced Monday it will also offer memorabilia from pitcher Goose Gossage and quarterback Warren Moon.
Bidding opens next Wednesday.
Gossage, considered one of baseball’s best all-time closers, pitched for nine different teams during his career, spending most of his time with the New York Yankees and the San Diego Padres. He helped the Yankees to win the World Series in 1978 and he pitched in nine All-Star games. Gossage’s collection includes:
• 1978 New York Yankees World Series Champions Ring
• 2008 National Baseball Hall of Fame Induction Ring
• 1978 New York Yankees World Series Trophy
• 2008 National Baseball Hall of Fame Induction Plaque
Moon played in the NFL for 16 seasons and played in nine Pro Bowls. He led the University of Washington Huskies to a 1978 Rose Bowl victory against the favored Michigan Wolverines and was named MVP. Despite being undrafted after college, Moon was persistent and played five years in the Canadian Football League before being drafted into the NFL where he set multiple records. Moon was elected to the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 2006. Items from the Moon collection include:
• 1978 University of Washington Huskies Rose Bowl Champions Ring
• 1990 Signed Jim Thorpe NFL MVP Trophy in Association with NEA and NFL Players Association
• 2005 Seattle Seahawks NFC Champions Ring as a member of the broadcast team
• 2006 Pro Football Hall of Fame Induction 14K Gold Ring
Other notable items in the November Auction include:
• Jerry Lucas’ 1960 USA Basketball Olympic Gold Medal (offered recently by Grey Flannel Auctions but unsold at its $250,000 minimum bid)
• Rare circa 1927 Willie Foster Chicago American Giants Negro League Game-Worn Jersey
• 4/30/76 Muhammad Ali vs. Jimmy Young Fight-Worn Robe
• Late 1960s Wilt Chamberlain Los Angeles Lakers Game-Worn Road Jersey
• High grade Babe Ruth Single Signed Baseball
• 2007 Boston Red Sox World Series Championship Ring
Bidding will be open to registered bidders on Wednesday, Nov. 20 and conclude on Saturday, Dec.7. The auction will be conducted online at SCPAuctions.com. For a full auction listing, more information on how to participate, visit www.scpauctions.com or call (949) 831-3700.