No NFL player had a better year than Emmitt Smith did 30 years ago. He may have had the most memorable year of any pro athlete—period.
Now, eBay and Notable Live are commemorating the anniversary of the season in which the Dallas Cowboys running back won the NFL MVP award, a Super Bowl championship and the Super Bowl MVP.
An auction of items from Smith’s football career—some dating to his days as a dominant high school and college star—will open Friday.
Among the items being offered:
- A football helmet he wore at Escambia High School in Pensacola, FL
- The last jersey he wore in college at the University of Florida
- A touchdown football carried by Smith in Super Bowl XXVIII when he was awarded MVP honors
- A touchdown football from Super Bowl XXX
- The game used football from when he became the only player to surpass 18,000 rushing yards
- The cleats he wore when he broke Walter Payton’s all-time record for most 100-yard rushing games
- A game ball from his 237-yard game against the Eagles on Oct. 31, 1993, setting the Cowboys’ single game record.
- The uniform from his eighth and final Pro Bowl
- Various awards earned by Smith throughout his career
Smith has been selling items from his career over the past couple of years, including game-used jerseys and footballs but the current auction is timed to coincide with Super Bowl LVIII.
“We are excited to celebrate Emmitt’s career milestones by offering one-of-a-kind items to fans, exclusively on eBay,” says Mike Antonucci, co-founder and CEO of Notable Live. “We are thrilled to mark these moments in football history with these incredibly unique items available directly from Emmitt so fans can have a piece of authentic history to call their own.”
Bidding will be available inside the Notable Live eBay store.
“I am proud of my accomplishments both as a football player and in my career as a businessman,” Smith remarked. “I am excited to share my personal collection with my fans through this exclusive event with eBay.”