The game-worn mask worn by 1980 U.S. Olympic hockey goalie Jim Craig sold for $137,849 early Friday but his gold medal, jerseys and flag didn’t meet auction reserves.
Craig has been trying to sell his collection of ‘Miracle on Ice’ memorabilia since last summer, first via a $5 million straight sale price tag and then through Leland’s latest auction. In addition to the mask, 13 other lots did sell including his game-used stick ($60,654), his goalie pads and blocker ($23,033 for each lot) and his skates ($17,569).
Lelands also sold a circa 1925-26 Lou Gehrig game model bat for $131,769, a 1934 Tour of Japan photograph signed by Babe Ruth, Lou Gehrig and Jimmie Foxx for $130,016 and a 1937 Carl Hubbell New York Giants uniform, photo-matched to wear during that year’s World Series for $96,000. All prices include a 20% buyer’s premium.
Just days after Lelands announced plans for a Muhammad Ali memorabilia auction later this year, Heritage revealed plans to do the same thing. The company says it’ll create a special catalog for 100 high-end Ali items that will be held in conjunction with its August Platinum Night event.
Among the items that will be up for bid:
- 1964 Cassius Clay Handwritten letter to Time Magazine Regarding Islam
- 1964 Sonny Liston Fight Worn Gloves from First Cassius Clay Bout
- 1965 Edward J. Neil Award Presented to Cassius Clay (Muhammad Ali)
- 1966 Muhammad Ali Fight Worn Gloves from George Chuvalo Bout
- 1972 Muhammad Ali Fight Worn Gloves from Floyd Patterson Bout
- 1970’s Muhammad Ali Training Worn Gloves Inscribed to Julius “Dr. J” Erving
- 1975 Muhammad Ali Fight Worn Shoes from Chuck Wepner Bout
- 1976 Muhammad Ali Fight Worn Robe from Norton Bout
- 1978 Muhammad Ali Fight Worn Robe from Leon Spinks II Bout
- 1978 Muhammad Ali “Three Times World Champion” Ring
- 1980 Muhammad Ali Fight Worn Gloves from the Larry Holmes Bout