It’ll be a pugilistic party when one of the top boxing card collections around goes up on the block.
Heritage Auction Galleries’ Sports Collectibles division will present a wide and diverse array of late 19th and early 20th century trading cards in its upcoming Oct. 17th & 18th Signature Auction.
“This is without a doubt one of the finest early boxing card collections ever assembled,” explained Chris Ivy, Director of Heritage Auction Galleries’ Sports Collectibles division (HSC). “Noted hobbyist Jeff Hull built the collection over a period of decades, locating rare advertising brand backs and un-cataloged subjects that many top collectors didn’t even know existed.”
Among the highlights of the assembly, which will be encapsulated by SGC with a “Hull Collection” pedigree, are the following:
– Largest assembly of N174 Old Judge and N332 S.F. Hess collections ever offered for auction.
– A near set of N269 Lorillard Mechanics (A 50-card complete set is unknown).
– A near set of N266 Red Cross Long Cut (23 of 25 cards).
– A 47-card near set of T226 Red Sun Tobacco cards (a 50-card complete set is unknown).
– 1886 N167 Old Judge Jem Smith (only one known).
– 1910 E125 American Caramel Jim Jeffries die-cut (only one known).
– Rare 1889 N386 Spaulding & Merrick collection with two uncataloged subjects.
– One of a small handful of cards from the 1892 Old Judge & Dog’s Head UK series (Jack Burke).
– A 49 of 50 card near set of T223 Dixie Queens.
– A near complete library of “E” Caramel/Candy series including some of the highest graded E78s known.
– 26 of 40 known subjects from the T229 Pet/Kopec series including 17 of the 24 known boxers.
Boxing cards on eBay