As the year winds down, we’re taking a look at the top-selling sports cards and memorabilia sold through major auction companies in 2018.
Since 2012, Robert Edward Auctions has gone from one giant auction per year to announcing plans for a third in 2019. The size of REA’s catalogs hasn’t suffered with the increase in frequency. The tomes that land on collectors’ doorsteps always include some historic baseball memorabilia and rare cards.
This past year, REA’s sales closed in April and October with two Yankee icons dominating the list of top selling items. Seven of the ten items on the list featured Babe Ruth or Mickey Mantle. Here’s the full list:
1. 1952 Topps Mickey Mantle PSA 8 $300,000 (April auction)
2. 1961 Topps Dice Game Test Mickey Mantle PSA 1 $144,000 (April)
3. Circa 1920 Babe Ruth autographed baseball PSA/DNA 8.5 $144,000 (October)
4. Autographed 1933 Goudey Babe Ruth PSA/DNA 7 $132,000 (October)
5. 1958 Topps football wax box $132,000 (October)
6. 1917 H801-8 Boston Store Babe Ruth SGC 3 $132,000 (October)
7. 1951 Topps Major League All Stars Robin Roberts $132,000 (April)
8. 1952 Topps Mickey Mantle PSA 6 $132,000 (October)
9. 1916 Babe Ruth D350-1 Standard Biscut PSA 2 $114,000 (April)
10. T206 Ty Cobb with Cobb Tobacco back PSA 1 $108,000 (October)
You can see the top 10 selling items for other major auction companies here.