Seventeen cards crossed the six-figure mark as Goldin Auctions closed out its second monthly sports card auction early Sunday. Nearly 1,400 lots were offered in the online catalog, which generated $8.5 million, a 60% increase from the company’s first monthly auction in February.
High-grade modern cards dominated the final results. A 2017 Bowman Chrome Red Refractor Ronald Acuna Jr. numbered to 5 and graded BGS 10 became the most expensive card of the Atlanta Braves star ever sold when it closed at $399,750.
A PSA 10 2011 Topps Mike Trout Red parallel was among a pile of cards that also set record prices. Exclusive to packs and boxes sold at Target stores, the rookie card sold for $136,530.
A PSA 7.5 1998-99 Fleer Brilliance Kobe Bryant 24kt Gold (#14/24) netted $111,930–the most every paid for a 1998 Bryant card.
The top selling items in the auction were a pair of PSA 10 1986-87 Fleer Michael Jordan cards, each of which sold for $492,000, well under the record prices of over $700,000 Goldin attained a couple of months ago. That well-publicized moment has brought several examples to market across a few different auction houses, likely contributing to a market dip. PSA has graded over 20,000 Jordan rookies with 315 rated Gem Mint 10.
The continued interest in cards featuring entertainers played out with the sale of a 2006-07 Topps Chrome “Signs of Stardom” Superfractor Jay-Z Autograph. Graded BGS 9/8, the 1/1 sticker autograph card sold for over $105,000.
Other top selling items in the auction included:
- 1996-97 Topps Chrome Refractor #138 Kobe Bryant Rookie Card – PSA GEM MT 10 $399,750
- 2003-04 Topps Chrome Refractors #111 LeBron James Rookie Card – PSA GEM MT 10 $209,100
- 1999-00 Upper Deck Game Jerseys Autographed Michael Jordan (#13/23) – BGS MINT 9/BGS 10 $186,960 (record price)
- 2003-04 Upper Deck SPX #151 LeBron James RPA (#650/750) – BGS PRISTINE 10 $137,760 (record price)
- 1986-87 Fleer Stickers #8 Michael Jordan Rookie – PSA GEM MT 10 $135,300
- 2011 Bowman Chrome Draft Prospect Autographs (Red Refractors) Francisco Lindor Signed Rookie Card (#4/5) – BGS GEM MINT 9.5/BGS 10 $75,030 (record price).
- 1986 Topps #161 Jerry Rice Rookie Card – PSA GEM MT 10 $119,310 (record price)
- 1981 Topps #216 Joe Montana Rookie Card – BGS 9.5 $87,330 (record for the grade)
Prices include a 23% buyer’s premium, a figure lowered to 20% if the winner pays promptly and doesn’t use a credit card.
Just three months into the new year, Goldin Auctions founder Ken Goldin says his sales have already surpassed the company’s entire total for 2020 at $100 million.
Goldin’s next auction is set to open Tuesday.