With the year heading into its final two months, eBay has released some information detailing 2019’s most popular players and teams across major sports leagues.
Among the trends:
Most In-Demand Teams
- NBA – Chicago Bulls
- The Bulls ranked #1 in overall merchandise sales on eBay with an average of 10 Bulls items purchased every hour this past year.
- NFL – Dallas Cowboys
- Despite the Patriots’ 2019 Super Bowl win, the Dallas Cowboys remain ‘America’s Team’ on eBay with 30% more US merchandise sales than the current champions.
- NHL – Boston Bruins
- In the past year, the most popular hockey team on eBay, the Boston Bruins, shut out number two team, the Chicago Blackhawks, by 50% in terms of total merchandise sold.
- MLB – New York Yankees
- Some Yankees baseball cards have sold for big money on eBay this year, especially Mantle and Ruth. Even though they haven’t won a World Series this decade, the franchise still leads the pack among baseball fans and collectors.
Most Popular Players
- NBA – LeBron James
- LeBron is the most popular NBA player on eBay for jersey and merchandise sales; in the past year, an average of five pieces of his memorabilia sold per hour on eBay.
- NFL – Tom Brady
- Brady is the most popular NFL player when it comes to merchandise sales on eBay, not only in the U.S., but also in Mexico, Canada and the U.K.
- NHL – Sidney Crosby
- Penguins superstar Sidney Crosby had the most memorabilia sold on eBay over the past year, but Oilers player Connor McDavid claims the most valuable merchandise. On average, McDavid merchandise was 144% more expensive than Crosby’s.
- MLB – Mike Trout
- Trout rookie cards continue to be among the most valuable current era trading cards sold on eBay, helping push him to the top of the pack.