More than 5,000 lots of sports cards and memorabilia will be sold later this week by Heritage Auctions, which is calling the sale the largest in the history of the hobby.
“The sheer scope of this auction should be enough to impress any collector because there’s something to be had in these catalogs for every level and every niche of the hobby,” said Heritage Auction Director Chris Ivy.
The auction is divided into three closing nights, Nov. 5-7, each terminating in Extended Bidding format following a 10 PM Central deadline for initial bidding.
Cards will be at the forefront of the first part of the auction, with 2,500 lots up for grabs including over 200 N172 Old Judge cards, 15 1951 and 1952 Mickey Mantle cards (some NM) and 50 sets from the PSA Registry, 20 of which rate number one including the 1958 Topps Baseball issue.
Session Two, closing on Friday, Nov. 6, will conclude the memorabilia portion of the auction, anchored by The Brooks Robinson Collection. With characteristic altruism, the Hall of Fame third baseman is parting with his World Series Championship rings, his 1964 American League All-Star Award and his massive assembly of Gold Glove Awards, all being sold to benefit his philanthropic endeavors.
The Andy Leff Hockey Collection, one of the most significant personal collections in the hobby, includes an array of game-used uniforms, trophies, awards and other items representing hockey greats.
Among the other highlights:
- 1914 Cracker Jack Ty Cobb #30 PSA NM-MT 8: Only One Higher
- 1996-97 Michael Jordan Game Worn & Signed Chicago Bulls Uniform: with Bulls Team Letter
- 1968 Topps Mets Rookie Stars – Nolan Ryan #177 PSA Mint 9
- 1948 Bowman George Mikan #69 SGC 96 Mint 9
- 1933 Goudey Lou Gehrig #92 PSA NM-MT 8
- 1966 Lance Alworth Game Worn San Diego Chargers Jersey
- 1968-69 Harmon Killebrew Game Worn Minnesota Twins Jersey, MEARS A8
- 1952-53 Montreal Canadiens Stanley Cup Championship Bowl Presented to Maurice Richard
- 1967-69 Gordie Howe Game Worn Detroit Red Wings Jersey
- 1971 Willie McCovey Game Worn San Francisco Giants Jersey, MEARS A9