Upper Deck is changing the traditional configuration of its flagship hockey card packaging beginning with next season’s set.
2023-24 Series 1 boxes will go from 24 packs to just 12, but there will be 12 cards per pack instead of eight. Boxes that used to hold 192 cards will now have just 144. The price of a pack is jumping from $4.99 to $8.99. That’s an increase of nearly 13 cents per card.
It’s the first major change in configuration in over 20 years for Upper Deck’s most widely distributed hockey product.
Set for release in November, Series 1 will offer three insert cards per pack instead of just one. A typical box will still hold six Young Guns and four UD canvas cards. Serial numbered Young Guns High Gloss and Exclusives will return next season as well as Honor Roll and Dazzlers inserts.
Upper Deck says the configuration changes will be applied to the entire flagship product line—Series 1, 2 and Extended Series.
There are four new base set parallels in the works, three of which are serial numbered. They include:
- Outburst Silver
- Deluxe (numbered to 250)
- Outburst Red (numbered to 25)
- Outburst Gold (1-of-1)
Those new parallels will be found across the product, including Young Guns. Outburst Gold will mark the first 1/1 Young Guns cards ever created.
Among the new insert sets planned for 2023-24 Upper Deck Series 1 are:
- 200’ x 85’: Each card in this set features a player (star veteran/top rookie) on a hockey rink backdrop – the player and the rink treated with Lite FX. Collect two (2) per box, on average, and look for Gold, Red (low-#’d) & Black (low-#’d) parallels.
- Special Edition: Each card displays a current star veteran or top rookie on an elegant design. In addition to the regular cards, look for rare Red & Gold (low-#’d) parallels.
- Star Surge: This set showcases rising stars. In addition to the regular cards, there are rare Red Die-Cut and Gold Die-Cut (low-#’d) parallels.
- Star Zone: This set is comprised of top veteran players and will include Red and Gold (low-#’d) parallels.
The Population Count insert returns after debuting in 2022-23 but next season, each card will be printed on acetate stock.
There are seven different print runs (1000, 500, 100, 50, 25, 10 and 1) of the 30-card set mimicking slabbed cards and featuring top-tier stars and rookies.