If you think set collecting is dead, think again.
Judging by the list of best sports card sellers at the largest online retailer in July, it’s still a big deal for a lot of collectors.
SportsMemorabilia.com reports that the retail version of the 2019 Topps baseball factory sets outsold the other 14 best selling items combined.
While the company’s clientele ranges from avid collectors to gift buyers, it’s an indicator that the market for complete sets is still pretty viable. It doesn’t hurt that the retail version of the 700-card set includes a five-card pack of rookie photo variations.
While they still has the retail factory sets in stock, the hobby versions with a pack of foil board variations from across the set is sold out.
Here’s a look at the top 15 sellers:
- 2019 Topps Baseball Factory Sealed Retail Complete Set– $49.99 – Contains cards #1-700 from Series 1 and Series 2. This was the top seller by far. How big? Company officials say it outsold everything else on list combined.
- 2019 Topps Baseball Factory Sealed Hobby Complete Set – Sold Out.
- 2019 Topps Baseball Series 1 Factory Sealed 9 Pack Fanatics Exclusive Value Box– $24.99 – This collection celebrated the 150th anniversary of baseball and this sealed nine-pack box includes 350 cards and a Fanatics exclusive 150th anniversary patch card.
- 2019 Topps Gypsy Queen Baseball Factory Sealed 24 Pack Box – GQ has been a strong seller since it was released prior to the MLB season–so strong this configuration is now sold out.
- 2018 Panini Contenders Football Factory Sealed 11 Pack Fanatics Exclusive Blaster Box– $19.99 – 11 Packs, eight cards each. Every blaster will include on average two Exclusive Ruby Parallels and 11 inserts. On the top sellers list for months, the parallel cards exclusive to the Fanatics version have been driving sales.
- 2019 Topps Gypsy Queen Hobby Edition Factory Sealed 24 Pack Box– $149.99 – The hobby version of GQ checks in at #6 and isn’t sold out. The hobby boxes include unique photo variations, Green parallels and two autographs per box.
- 2019 Topps Stadium Club Baseball Factory Sealed 16 Pack Hobby Box– $109.99 – The photography-focused set has been a solid seller, according to Sports Mem with a fresh look at modern-day stars, rookies and legends.
- 2019 Topps Allen And Ginter Baseball Factory Sealed 24 Pack Retail Box– $69.99 – Released during the middle of the month, Ginter still managed to sell well enough to join the list.
- 2019 Topps Stadium Club Baseball Factory Sealed 24 Pack Retail Box– $69.99 – Sold slightly less units than the Hobby box version at #7 on the list.
- 2019 Topps Chrome Baseball Factory Sealed 12 Pack Jumbo Hobby Box– $259.99 – A newly released product, Chrome quickly climbed into the list of top 10 sellers thanks to strong pre-sales. Revenue-wise, sales were about the same as the Hobby box version, according to the company. Each box contains five autographed cards.
- 2019 Topps Chrome Baseball Factory Sealed 24 Pack Hobby Box– $119.99 – Each box contains two autographs instead of the five in the Jumbo version.
- 2018-19 Upper Deck O-Pee-Chee Platinum Hockey Factory Sealed 5 Pack Blaster Box– $14.99 – Five packs, four cards per pack. Currently on sale, it’s the only hockey product to crack the list.
- 2019 Topps Finest Baseball Factory Sealed 12 Pack Hobby Master Box– $179.99 – Released in June. Each Finest box includes two autograph cards.
- 2019 Topps Allen And Ginter Baseball Factory Sealed 8 Pack Blaster Box– $19.99 – Lower price point, but didn’t sell as well as the retail box version.
- 2018 Topps Baseball Series 1 Factory Sealed 10 Pack Box– $14.99 – 2018 boxes and packs are still selling well, according to the company.