Newly arriving 2015 Topps Strata Baseball is offering two high-end cards per pack—at least one of them autographed and possibly both. The more interesting development, however, is the use of MLB holograms on relic cards of current players, enabling collectors to quickly determine when those game-worn jersey pieces saw the field.
Strata, which debuted a few years ago in football, was released Wednesday, with boxes falling online at between $80 and $95 at release. A full checklist is available for download at the bottom of this page.
While they don’t seem to be attached to every relic card, those that do have a hologram attached to the jersey swatch that’s embedded in the card, allow tracking through the MLB Authentication database. Clear acetate covers the swatch so the hologram isn’t damaged or tampered with.
While the holographic nature sometimes makes it hard to read the authentication number in images posted on eBay, a quick check of some that were legible revealed:
- Madison Bumgarner swatches dating from the day of teammate Chris Heston’s no-hitter
- An Ichiro Orioles swatch from a 2014 game in which he recorded two hits
- A Zack Greinke Dodgers swatch from one of his June 2015 starts (a no-decision)
In every other box, the relic card is autographed.
Here’s the rest of the product breakdown from 2015 Strata Baseball:
Clearly Authentic Relic cards will contain a jumbo relic. Both autographed and regular versions will have these parallels:
- Blue: sequentially numbered.
- Green: sequentially numbered.
- Black: sequentially numbered to 50.
- Gold: sequentially numbered to 25.
- Red MLB Silhouetted Batter Logo Patch: numbered 1/1.
- Red Laundry Tag: numbered 1/1.
- Red Button: numbered 1/1.
- Red Button Hole: numbered 1/1.
- Red Majestic Logo Patch: numbered 1/1.
Strata Signature Patch Cards: A jumbo jersey patch relic embedded in a card with the Strata design. Numbered to 25.
- Gold: numbered to 5.
- Red Rivet: numbered 1/1.
Strata Signature: A signed layered card featuring a team logo as the backdrop.
- Gold: numbered to 25.
- Red: numbered 1/1.
- Orange: Sequentially numbered.
- Blue: Sequentially numbered.
- Green: Sequentially numbered.
- Black: Sequentially numbered to 50.
- Gold: Sequentially numbered to 25.
- Red: Numbered 1/1.