It may not have an MLB license, but Panini does have a deal with the Baseball Hall of Fame and for the fourth year in a row, the company will produce a card set under that partnership. 2015 Panini Coooperstown Baseball is set for release Wednesday.
A variety of Hall of Fame players have signed for the product including this year’s class: Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez, John Smoltz and Craig Biggio.
Among the other product highlights:
- Hall of Fame Induction Signatures including Brooks Robinson, Cal Ripken, Craig Biggio, Eddie Murray, Frank Thomas, George Brett, Greg Maddux, John Smoltz, Johnny Bench, Nolan Ryan, Pedro Martínez, Randy Johnson, Reggie Jackson, Rickey Henderson, Rod Carew, Ryne Sandberg and more. Parallels will be numbered to no more than 49.
- Hall of Fame Cuts includes cut signatures of long ago greats Al Simmons, Arky Vaughn, Babe Ruth, Bill Dickey, Dave Bancroft, Dizzy Dean, Eddie Collins, Frankie Frisch, Gabby Hartnett, Honus Wagner, Jackie Robinson, Jimmie Foxx and Ty Cobb.
- The Etched In Cooperstown insert includes a base version but also parallels out to include cards embedded with real diamonds, emeralds, rubies and sapphires.
- Recollection Collection Signatures features autographed versions of original cards from 2014 Hall of Fame 75th Anniversary’s Crusade, Elite Series, Elite Dominators and Diamond Kings Signers include Al Kaline, Bob Gibson, Frank Robinson, Johnny Bench, Carl Yastrzemksi, Rod Carew, Reggie Jackson, Mike Schmidt, George Brett, Nolan Ryan, Eddie Murray, Ryne Sandberg, Cal Ripken, Rickey Henderson, Greg Maddux and Frank Thomas.
- Names of the Game includes cards of players with memorable nicknames including Bucketfoot Al, The Bambino, Iron Man, Peerless Leader, Fordham Flash, Highpockets, The Squire, Flying Dutchman, Goofy, The Lip, Iron Horse, Old Aches & Pains, Master Melvin, The Express, Big Unit, Mr October, Arriba, The Rajah, Wahoo Sam and the Georgia Peach.
- Hall of Fame Induction Dual Signatures: Hall of Famers paired together on one autographed card. The checklist includes Wade Boggs/Ryne Sandberg, Cal Ripken/Tony Gwynn, Tom Glavine/ GregMaddux, Pedro Martínez/Randy Johnson, Craig Biggio/John Smoltz, Al Kaline/DukeSnider and Harmon Killebrew/Luis Aparicio.
- Hall of Fame Crown Royaledie-cuts honoring Ruth, Dizzy Dean, Eddie Collins, Frank Chance, Gabby Hartnett, Hack Wilson, Herb Pennock, Honus Wagner, Jackie Robinson, Jimmie Foxx, Joe DiMaggio, Lefty Gomez, Lou Gehrig, Mel Ott, Miller Huggins, Nap Lajoie, Roberto Clemente, Rogers Hornsby, Sam Crawford and Ty Cobb.
- Cooperstown Golf Classichas cards with photos of the annual Hall of Fame tradition.
You can see Cooperstown on eBay here.
Rich Klein’s review is here.