On the final day of baseball’s regular season, 2012 Topps Update is scheduled to hit hobby shops nationwide. The company released additional preview images of the product this week, which includes rookies in big league action and fresh cards for most players who changed teams by late July. There are eight base short prints, including several from the blockbuster deal between the Dodgers and Red Sox who aren’t part of the regular set but will show up as case hits. In addition, some new insert sets are being launched and the Presidential Predictor cards are back with election day just weeks away.
One autograph or relic card will be in each hobby box (36 packs/10 cards) while each HTA jumbo box of ten packs (42 cards each) will have one autograph and two relics.
2012 Topps Updates will have the usual 330 card base set along with a rainbow of parallel variations.
Among the other highlights:
- Blockbusters, an insert which showcases some of the biggest player moves in baseball history
- Heavy metal HOF Plaque cards
- Autographed cards of Major League team general managers
- Update continues the ’87 mini wood border inserts
- Presidential Predictor cards. Enter a code from the back of each card of Barack Obama or Mitt Romney online represented with one of the 50 states. If he wins that respective state you’ll have chance to win a special Presidential Patch card
- Solid Gold Futures cards that will include a piece of actual gold. There will be only four different players featured.
Here’s the 2012 Topps Update Checklist (Excel). Take a look at some of the preview images issued by Topps this week: