by Chris Harris
Topps has unveiled details about its 2012 Triple Threads Football brand, and if it looks like something you’ve already seen before, it’s because it pretty much is a product you’ve seen before.
Ever since Triple Threads’ introduction in the middle part of the last decade (2006 in baseball, 2007 for football) Topps has kept to the same formula: sticker autographs and “Relics” framed around a series of well…often unusual… die-cut windows, for a hundred bucks a pack. Scheduled for a mid-November arrival, this year’s edition will follow the same tried and true formula.
Each seven-card pack of Triple Threads will contain three base cards each serial-numbered to 930 copies, two low-numbered parallels, and two “hits.” One of those “Hits” will be an autographed ”Relic” card, and the other will be either an un-autographed Triple Relic or a Rookie Jumbo Relic. All in all, each 2-pack Hobby box will yield….
- Six base cards serial-numbered to 930 copies
- Four serial-numbered parallels ranging from as much as 320 copies to as little as one.
- An Autographed Triple Relic serial-numbered to 99 copies or less.
- A Rookie Autographed Relic serial-numbered to 99 copies or less.
- A Triple Relic serial-numbered to 36 or less.
- A Rookie Jumbo Relic serial-numbered to 99 copies.
In addition, each 18-box Hobby case will produce …
- A Triple Autograph, Triple Relic serial-numbered to 27 copies or less.
- A one-of-one Autographed Relic.
- An Autographed Relic Book Card.
All the usual number of low-numbered autograph and Relic parallels will also be available, all in varying scarcities and colors.
2012 Triple Threads Football is scheduled for release exclusively to Hobby outlets the week of November 19. Each box will contain 2 packs and each pack should retail in the $100/$120 range. 18 boxes will come per Hobby case. See the preliminary checklist and photo gallery below.
[…] In writing about Bowman Draft Picks and Prospects we discussed the mantra about “check back with us in five years” about that product. The other mantra we use fairly frequently in these box reviews is this product is not for the "faint of heart". That is certainly true about 2012 Topps Triple Threads Football. […]