Twenty-six cards from the 1910 E98 set have just been certified by Certified Sports Guaranty (CSG), including a Ty Cobb (red background) that was graded 9.5.
Among the cards authenticated by CSG was a Ty Cobb with a Red Background that was awarded a 9.5 grade. Examples in similar condition have sold in the $30,000-$40,000 range over the last few years. A PSA 10 sold for $270,600 in 2019.
The 26 new additions are each graded at least CSG 4.5. However, 20 out of the 26 are graded at least near mint 7 or higher, with ten receiving a grade of CSG 9 or higher.
The E98 set was jolted by the 2012 “Black Swamp Find,” a hoard several hundred cards from the set that were discovered in an Ohio family’s attic, wrapped in twine and virtually untouched since they were issued. The cards were believed to have been brought home from a store operated by a family member at that time. Those cards were graded and sold, originally through Heritage Auctions.
CSG officials say they aren’t sure if the cards may have originated with the Ohio find but the cards they graded were not submitted as crossovers from another grading company’s holder.
The group includes two Honus Wagner cards, one with a Red Background graded CSG 8 and one with a Green Background graded CSG 8.5.
Cards in the set also came with orange and blue backgrounds, but nearly all of the ones in the group graded by CSG have red backgrounds.
The 1910 E98 Set of 30 consists of cards of popular baseball players from the early 20th century, including 17 Hall of Famers. Names like Wagner, Connie Mack, Hal Chase and other stars of the day are more are found within the 30-card set that’s believed to have been produced as a giveaway with the purchase of caramel candy. To this day, the cards are a bit of a mystery and are also known as the “Anonymous Set of 30” since the manufacturer is still unknown.
Every card comes with the same reverse image, which lists all 30 players in the set along with the city where they played and whether they were in the American or National League.
With the addition of this group, the CSG Population Report now contains 29 cards from the 1910 E98 set.
The 26 1910 E98 Baseball Cards graded by CSG include:
- Al Bridwell (Red) graded CSG 4.5
- Bill Dahlen (Green) graded CSG 5
- Chief Bender (Red) graded CSG 9.5
- Chief Meyers (Red) graded CSG 9.5
- Connie Mack (Red) graded CSG 7
- Cy Young (Red) graded CSG 6.5
- Eddie Collins (Red) graded CSG 8
- Frank Chance (Red) graded CSG 9
- Fred Clarke (Red) graded CSG 9
- Fred Tenny (Red) graded CSG 8.5
- George Mullin (Red) graded CSG 7
- Hal Chase (Red) graded CSG 9
- Hans Wagner (Red) graded CSG 8
- Hans Wagner (Green) graded CSG 8.5
- Harry Davis (Red) graded CSG 4.5
- Hippo Vaughn (Red) graded CSG 9
- Jack Coombs (Red) graded CSG 9
- John McGraw (Red) graded CSG 6.5
- Johnny Evers (Red) graded CSG 8.5
- Johnny Kling (Red) graded CSG 9
- Larry McLean (Red) graded CSG 8
- Miner Brown (Red) graded CSG 7
- Red Dooin (Red) graded CSG 7.5
- Roger Bresnahan (Red) graded CSG 9
- Russ Ford (Red) graded CSG 7
- Ty Cobb (Red) graded CSG 9.5