Sports Collectors Notebook: Topps Closed, Heritage Highs Update, New Buy-Sell Outlet, New Shows, Card Thief Gets Probation

Some news nuggets as the week winds to a close…

Topps offices remain closed and won’t open until at least Monday.   Hurricane Sandy took out power to the company’s building at One Whitehall Street in Manhattan.  Phone lines have been down since the storm and telephone communication between consumers and the company’s customer service department has not yet resumed.


Topps will ship its new Heritage High Number sets on Friday.  The $100 per boxed set product contains one autograph and the high number cards won’t be available in packs.  Only 1,000 sets were produced and the set was only offered through the company’s online store.  They are no longer available for purchase.


Collector Revolution has launched its online buying and selling portal.  The company offered information at this year’s National Sports Collectors Convention in Baltimore.  There are no fees for selling. All items sold for less than $5 don’t pay a final sale fee either and sellers never pay more than 5%.  The company says it will verify all sellers.

They also have a rewards program with unopened packs and boxes as prizes.


Starting in February 2013, 3 Monkey Productions will be hosting a sports card and memorabilia show every other month in the St. Louis area.

Shows will be held on the second Sunday of each month, featuring local vendors as well as autograph guests signing autographs for the public.

Promoters say their first show will be February 10 at the Heart of St. Charles Banquet Hall in St. Charles.


Mike Gordon, a long-time New Jersey dealer who has been a fixture at the National Sports Collectors Convention and other big shows for many years, died Tuesday after suffering a stroke.  He was 70 years old.


Remember the guy who stole packs of baseball cards from a southeastern Wisconsin department store last spring— and threatened a security guard with a box cutter?  He was a repeat offender, it seems, but he got off with a slap on the wrist again, according to this follow-up by WITI-TV in Milwaukee.