The NFL's auction website has kicked off a new look and a new event to raise money for St. Jude Research Hospital, which works to find cures for cancer and other deadly diseases. The league has the new site features a cleaner navigation, which makes viewing and bidding on items easier. New for the 2013 season, Buy It Now and Group Buy (fixed price purchasing) features will be incorporated into the site. Fans will also be able to bid on the unique items on NFL Auction from their mobile devices and via Facebook.
Items signed by many of the 2013 NFL Draft prospects, including including top pick Eric Fisher are featured on the NFL Auction home page. Signed footballs from Andrew Luck, Eli Manning and other stars are also up for bid, some of them carrying inscriptions. Auctions begin closing Thursday night.
The funds raised from the auction will support the needs of the St. Jude Child Life department. Markell Gregoire, a child from St. Jude announced a pick during Round One of the Draft last week.
Over the past five years NFL Auction has donated more than $5 million to a variety of nonprofit organizations. NFL Auction donates 100% of its net proceeds to support NFL and team charities. Charities that benefit from NFL Auction include:
- American Cancer Society: More than $500,000 was raised through NFL Auction this past year as part of the NFL’s “A Crucial Catch” Breast Cancer Awareness campaign.
- Military charities including Pat Tillman Foundation, Wounded Warrior Project, USO: More than $300,000 was raised through NFL Auction this past year as part of the NFL’s “Salute To Service” Military Appreciation campaign.
- Player Care Foundation: An independent organization dedicated to helping retired players improve their quality of life. PCF addresses all aspects of life – medical, emotional, financial, social and community, providing programs and assistance in each area.
- Urology Care Foundation: The Urology Care Foundation is the official foundation of the American Urological Association (AUA).
- Pro Football Hall of Fame Enshrinees Assistance Foundation
- Team Foundations: More than half of NFL teams currently use NFL Auction as a fundraising vehicle.