The Phoenix Coyotes, together with the Minnesota Wild and the MeiGray Group, are auctioning autographed game-worn captains’ jerseys donated from 28 NHL teams to benefit the family of Jukka Nieminen, the long time massage therapist for the Phoenix Coyotes.
Nieminen, a native of Finland, who spent 16 years with the franchise beginning in Winnipeg, died June 11 of a heart attack at age 40.
He was to be married the next day.
Nieminen came to the U.S. as a player but injuries led him on a different career path. He was extremely popular around the NHL.
The auction will raise college funds for his two daughters, Alexandra, 12, and Caroline, 7.
The Jukka Nieminen Game-Worn Jersey Charity Auction is underway and ends on Thursday, December 30, beginning at 9 pm ET.
Each auction will include the five-minute rule.
Highlights of the auction include:
· Pittsburgh Penguins 2010-11 game-worn and autographed jersey worn by Sidney Crosby.
· Washington Capitals 2010-11 game-worn and autographed jersey worn by Alexander Ovechkin.
· Carolina Hurricanes 2010-11 game-worn with Helsinki Patch and autographed jersey worn by Eric Staal.
· Phoenix Coyotes 2010-11 game-worn with Prague Patch and autographed jersey worn by Shane Doan.
· Columbus Blue Jackets 2010-11 game-worn with Stockholm Patch and autographed jersey worn by Rick Nash.
· San Jose Sharks 2010-11 game-worn with Stockholm Patch and autographed jersey worn by Joe Thornton.
Every jersey has been authenticated by MeiGray, and will be registered in the MeiGray’s Registration System.