A collection of vintage NBA and ABA basketball memorabilia was on the block in the annual auction at the Basketball Hall of Fame in Springfield, Mass. The 1972-73 NBA MVP award won by the Boston Celtics’ Dave Cowens was the top seller at $156,000 including Grey Flannel Auctions’ buyers premium.
Several vintage game-worn jerseys and uniforms representing pro hoops legends had bidders lining up during the annual induction weekend. Several of the highest selling items came from the collection of veteran TV commentator and 25-time Emmy Award winner Al Trautwig, whose interest in sports broadcasting was ignited during his teens, when he served as a ball boy for the ABA New York Nets and stick boy for the New York Islanders. The 1974 ABA Eastern Conference All-Star uniform worn by Julius Erving was part of Trautwig’s stash. It sold for $132,000.
Other highlights included:
- Circa 1967 Lenny Wilkens Atlanta Hawks road jersey $78,000
- 1971 Wes Unseld NBA All-Star uniform $60,000
- 1980 Pete Maravich Celtics warm-up top $60,000
- 1984-85 Michael Jordan rookie road uniform $54,000
- 1975 Dan Issel game-used ABA All-Star uniform $51,000
- 1972 Rick Barry ABA jersey $48,000
- 2005 Robert Horry Spurs NBA Championship ring $48,000
- 1968 Bailey Howell Celtics NBA Championship ring $42,000
- 1975-76 Freddie Lewis St. Louis Spirits ABA game-worn jersey $39,000
[phpbay]game worn MEARS, num, “”, “”[/phpbay]