The bidding for the Angelo Dundee Estate Collection of boxing memorabilia, the Ozzie Smith Collection of baseball memorabilia, a Babe Ruth sweater from the early 1920s and Mickey Mantle’s 1964-1967 model game-worn jacket is expected to heat up this week, as SCP Auctions closes out its final major catalog auction of 2012. The Dundee collection ends on Friday, Nov. 30 while the remainder of the auction ends on Saturday, Dec. 1 at SCPAuctions.com. In all, more than 800 items are up for grabs.
Two pairs of gloves from Muhammad Ali’s two most legendary fights top the bidding as of late Tuesday night. His fight-worn gloves, including those from his historic February 25, 1964 bout against Sonny Liston and those from his March 8, 1971 battle with Joe Frazier (Ali-Frazier I) each have a current bid of $241,577. With the company's buyer's premium factored in, the high bid on the pair is well over $500,000.
Jim Dundee, the late Angelo's son, plans to donate a portion of the proceeds from the sale to the Muhammad Ali Foundation and the auction will also help the Dundee family fulfill Angelo's wish that necessary medical care be provided and funded for Jim's sister, who suffers from Multiple Sclerosis.
Ozzie Smith consigned a large chunk of memorabilia from his career including all 13 Gold Glove Awards from 1980-1992. They pushed past the $150,000 mark Tuesday and should also see more action over the next 72 hours.
Also drawing interest from collectors is a T210 Old Mill Joe Jackson card, the Ruth sweater, the Mantle jacket and the personal basketball memorabilia of Basketball Hall of Famers Sam Jones and Oscar Robertson. The top 10 bids in the auction include:
- Ali (then Cassius Clay) fight-worn gloves from Feb. 25, 1964 bout vs. Sonny Liston – current high bid $241,577
- Ali’s fight-worn gloves from March 8, 1971 bout vs. Joe Frazier – current high bid $241,577
- Smith’s career set of 13 Golden Glove Award trophies (1980-92) – current high bid $161,645
- 1910 T210 Old Mill Series 8 Joe Jackson GD PSA 2 – current high bid $66,550
- 1964-67 Mantle New York Yankees professional model game-worn jacket – current high bid $60,500
- Ruth’s c. 1922 New York Yankees team sweater – current high bid $55,000
- Jones’ Boston Celtics 1958-59 NBA Championship ring – current high bid $34,529
- Sam Jones’ 1983 National Basketball Hall of Fame induction ring – current high bid $31,390
- Oscar Robertson’s 1960 Olympic Gold Medal winning Team USA game-worn jersey – current high bid $29,282
- Smith’s 2011 St. Louis Cardinals World Series ring – current high bid $29,233
Collectors can bid by logging on to www.scpauctions.com or calling (800) 350-2273. The initial-bidding period ends at 7 p.m. PST, with the auctions ending after 15 minutes has elapsed without a bid on the entire auction.