More than 1,000 original sports photographs, including many rare Type 1 images, are on the block this weekend as HYee Auctions’ “Spring eBay Premier Auction” comes to a close. It’s the most comprehensive vintage photography auction to date for owner Henry Yee and one of the largest offerings of fine vintage photography ever held on eBay.
There are over 3,500 lots covering nearly every major subject over the course of the 20th century. Over 1,000 of them are sports photographs including shots of Babe Ruth, Lou Gehrig, Walter Johnson Joe DiMaggio, Jackie Robinson, Mickey Mantle and Red Grange.
The auction is divided into nine parts with each lot running 10 days. The first part of the auction, entitled “The Legends” closes Sunday night, April 27.
“Hall of Famers, Stars, Stadiums and More” closes Monday, April 28.
Among the photographs up for bid:
- 1920’s Ruth/Gehrig barnstorming tour news photo
- Dizzy and Paul Dean
- Construction of Yankee Stadium
- Red Grange at Illinois
- Satchel Paige as a Kansas City Monarchs’ pitcher in 1943
- 1907 Walter Johnson
- Jackie Robinson in action as a UCLA football running back and stealing home in the 1955 WS
- Mickey Mantle rounding third base after a spring training home run before his rookie season
- 1954 Sandy Koufax as an 18-year-old Dodgers’ signee
- Super Bowl III game action photos with Joe Namath
- Color slide transparencies featuring the Lombardi era Packers, Hank Aaron, Willie Mays, Roberto Clemente, Sandy Koufax, the 1967 Red Sox, Muhammad Ali and others
Click here for a direct link to the auction.